"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Steve, Meet Wheel

To succeed in the sport of running, you have to do what others aren't willing to do. What I keep forgetting is that you also have to be willing to do what those who are successful do. I posted some ideas on training for a 100 mile trail race, but overlooked the fact that everyone agrees on some basic points, which I chose to ignore because I didn't care for them.

A brief question and answer with John Horns, who won the Superior 100 at age 51 (23:16, a slow time - a hot year) brought back some old ideas to me, which I've managed to gel into a coherent plan that looks like what others have done.

M 10 miles hike
T 5 miles with 3x20sec. hill sprints
W 15 miles hills with 7.5 miles hard
Th 5 miles with 3 sprints
F 10 miles hike
Sa 19 miles with last 13 hard
S 31 miles easy

Improvement comes by increasing the pitch of the hills on Wednesday and increasing the difficulty of terrain on Saturday and Sunday.

Every third week is an easier week, though the mileage stays steady.

10 walk
5 w/3
15 hill WALK
5 w/3
10 walk
19 EASY
31

That's almost 100 miles per week, which John was doing at his peak training. So how does one build to that? I just went from running 20-30 miles per week straight into it! Ten days in, I'm not hurt, but I  haven't been doing much of the hard running and my weekend runs haven't been long enough. I'm doing 75 miles per week, just as the weather starts turning cold.

Ideally, the times for the above would eventually be

M 2:00-2:15
T 45 min
W 3:00 (done on Hyland ski hill, 500 ft. climb per mile)
Th 45
F 2:00-2:15
Sa 19 @ Afton  in 3:00
S 31 @ Afton in 5:30.

Given that running the Afton course in 5:30 is what I've done in races there, it's "a bit of a reach."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are getting in some good miles. Do you have a target race?

SteveQ said...

I've never finished the Superior 100, so that's the goal race. On the way, I'd like to run the Afton 50K and I've got a free entry to Chippewa 50K. Nothing else planned yet, but lot's of things in mind.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at a Superior a couple times. This year did the lottery,got hurt in the training, and DNS. I am going to keep that race in mind for 2017. I live about 20 minutes from the Chippewa 50k and hope to do that as well. I like how your training program incorporates walking and hiking - something I will be doing more of.