"There's only one hard and fast rule in running: sometimes you have to run one hard and fast."








Sunday, July 13, 2014

Day 1 (Take #3000 or so)

I decided last night that, since I was feeling well, it was time to start training. I awoke sneezing, with my eyes swollen shut. The plan was to run long - eventually I need to get back to 20 milers, but I just wanted to see what I could do. I had a coughing attack that wouldn't stop; coughing almost to the point of retching, I was miserable. But undaunted.

I started off and immediately ran into the week's nuisance. Living on the only sizable lake in the city (with a perfect 5K course), I expect crowds for some event every Saturday and Sunday. Today was the start of the Dragon Boat races - which are fun, if you don't hear the drums inside your house all day when you're trying to do something else) - and bigger than usual crowds.

It was a miserable slog. Ideally, I wanted to run 15 miles, but my longest run so far this year is 7 [How can that be?!] so I was hoping for 9 or 12. I made it to 6, when my back and legs simultaneously gave out.

Day 1 is in the books. Again.

2 comments:

wildknits said...

Seems like an ambitious long run goal in light of recent training (says the woman that ran 41.5 miles after a month and a half of no long runs).

At least you got out the door and got some miles in. Have to start somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're running. The best training plan is the one that keeps you running.

John K